How you answer this question will affect your whole life! Our view of God, Jesus and ourselves will be influenced. This in turn will affect our principles of behaviour. It is our conviction that the Bible is truly the word of God. This conviction is based on evidence, and it this evidence that we invite you to consider.
In a brochure of this kind it is not possible to examine in detail all the available evidence. We have listed the types of evidence and given examples where space permits. Should you then wish to study any of the subjects in greater detail, we will be happy to assist you.
I. The Bible is unique in its continuity, circulation, translation, survival, teachings, and influence on surrounding literature. Each of these is a subject to be studied on its own and together prove the Bible to be unique.
II. The reliability of the Bible is confirmed by the historical text and archaeology. The same tests which are applied to any piece of literature to determine its reliability show the Bible to be historically accurate. Also, many places and persons named in the Bible, previously thought to be fictional, have been confirmed by archaeology.
III. Internal scientific knowledge. The Bible touches on many aspects of science (though it is not a scientific book), and in each case this knowledge has proved to be accurate. How could the Bible writers have obtained such knowledge without the benefit of modern instruments and technology?
Consider the following examples
- Astronomy. Bible writers 628-588 BC, "As the host of heaven cannot be counted, and the sand of the sea cannot be measured..." (Jeremiah 33:22) In AD 1608 Galileo used a telescope the first year it was invented and being the first to discover there are so many stars, he announced the number was innumerable.
- Geology. Bible writers 1491-975 BC, 'The entire earth has been under water.' (Genesis 1:2-9; Psalm 104:6-9) By AD 1885 enough evidence was collected to show this to be true.
- Oceanography. Bible writers 1015 BC, 'There are paths in the sea.' (Psalm 8:8) These paths were discovered in AD 1885 by M. Fontaine.
- Meteorology. Bible writers 2000 BC, "For He draws up drops of water, which distil as rain from the mist, which the clouds drop down and pour abundantly on man." (Job 36:27-28) The 'water vapour cycle' was first comprehended by Aristotle in 350 BC, and is now one of the best understood facts of meteorology by the populace.
- Physics. Bible writers 745-538 BC, 'The universe is decaying.' (Isaiah 51:6; Psalm 102:26) In AD 1885 this was established as a fact and is known as the second law of thermodynamics.
- Biology. Bible writers 1491-1451 BC, "The life is in the blood." (Leviticus 17:11) This fact came to light in AD 1900.
Bible writers claim to be inspired
The writers of both the Old and New Testaments make this claim.
Old Testament Writers
"The word of the Lord that came to me..." (Jeremiah 1:4)
"The word of the Lord that came to Hosea... when the Lord began to speak through Hosea." (Hosea 1:1-2)
New Testament Writers
"If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord." (1 Corinthians 14:37)
The purpose of this article has not been to prove that the Bible is the word of God, but to highlight the fact that Christians believe it to be so based on evidences. Studies on Christian evidences are available by writing to our address.